-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Clark Morris
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 10:59 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Non - ECC, non-parity memory was Re: Risks (Was Re: Decoding the
encryption puzzle)
<snip>

The non-ECC "seems" to be very reliable on both of the currently used
computers at home (1 desktop, 1 laptop).  However, I think it is more
of a case that the technicians couldn't explain to the bean counters
why memory reliability is important.  I wonder how many Windows /
Linux / newest Mac problems are actually due to faulty memory that
couldn't be detected as faulty.  Until those of us who understand
these things can make a good case to the non-technical general buying
population, the Gresham's Law effect mentioned below will persist.

<unsnip>

If you have never had memory problems with a Windoze machine then count your
lucky stars.

I have a laptop that drove me crazy for three months last year.  It began as
an occasional blue screen and Windoze just started over.  It got to the
point at one time where it would blue screen two times a day.  I took it
back to the retail outlet where I bought it because it was still within the
first year of purchase.  They were the ones that found the memory problems.
They replaced the memory and now I only occasionally have problems with
Windoze, so I guess I'm back to the real Windoze problems and not memory
associated issues.  I have thought about rebuilding the operating systems
from scratch because it is still flaky just no blue screen.  The problem I
suspect is that files loaded into the faulty memory were written out to disk
corrupted and now the system is not the same as original.  The problem is I
don't want to take the time to fix Windoze.

Again thank your lucky stars if you have no memory problems.

Tom Moulder