On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 16:17 -0600, Johnston, Robert E wrote:

> I don't see a /etc/profile. This is pretty early on in the install process -
> little customization has been done. Maybe it will get created later?
>
> My /etc/httpd.envvars looks similar to John's, but I don't have JAVA_HOME in
> there. Is that where I am supposed to update the JAVA_HOME directory?
>
> My serverpac was created back in July 2006. Any ideas why didn't it come with
> a later Java installed?
>
> I got the path name from the JAVA SDK Program Directory. It had the /bin on
> the end of it. Beats me if it's right.
>
> I think I am going to proceed as Tim Hare suggested:
>
> 1.Change SETUP.SH back to read JAVA_HOME=${JAVA_HOME:-<JAVA_HOME>}
> 2. In OMVS, type ECHO $JAVA_HOME to see if it is set; if it is then run
> SETUP.SH
> 3. If not set, use the command EXPORT JAVA_HOME = '
> /usr/lpp/java/IBI/J5.0/bin' (or one of the other suggestions depending upon
> what Java you actually have), then run SETUP.SH

At home having just walked the mutts, and my 1.7 build was a few months
back - so all that follows is from memory. Value it accordingly.

Contrary to John, I prefer to have these things system-wide - i.e.
in /etc/profile. Just like SYS1.PARMLIB - I look after it, and it's my
responsibility to make it right.

We have always set JAVA_HOME without the "/bin"; when constructing the
$PATH, I then use $PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin. That way it's always built
correctly when versions change. As I was installing the 64 bit 1.5 with
z/OS 1.7, and there was 31-bit 1.4 (Java) on my old (z/OS) 1.4 system, I
wrapped some simple "if logic" around the assignment of JAVA_HOME so I
could IPL either z/OS 1.4 or 1.7 without screwing up the Java
environment.
Well, not too much anyway.

Java needs to be ordered - the 1.4 used to be freely downloadable, but
(later ???) the SMP packaged version needed to be ordered. Too long ago
to remember exactly  I'm afraid. For us the 64-bit had to be
specifically added to the 1.7 order.

BTW, those "echo" and "export" (and similar) commands need tobe in lower
case. Obvious I know, but ...

Shane ...