-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Shane
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:16 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: HTTP server and JAVA Serverpac question

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 16:17 -0600, Johnston, Robert E wrote:

> I don't see a /etc/profile. This is pretty early on in the install
> process - little customization has been done. Maybe it will get
> created later?
>
> My /etc/httpd.envvars looks similar to John's, but I don't have
> JAVA_HOME in there. Is that where I am supposed to update the
> JAVA_HOME directory?
>
> My serverpac was created back in July 2006. Any ideas why didn't it
> come with a later Java installed?
>
> I got the path name from the JAVA SDK Program Directory. It had the
> /bin on the end of it. Beats me if it's right.
>
> I think I am going to proceed as Tim Hare suggested:
>
> 1.Change SETUP.SH back to read JAVA_HOME=${JAVA_HOME:-<JAVA_HOME>}
> 2. In OMVS, type ECHO $JAVA_HOME to see if it is set; if it is then
> run SETUP.SH 3. If not set, use the command EXPORT JAVA_HOME = '
> /usr/lpp/java/IBI/J5.0/bin' (or one of the other suggestions
depending upon
> what Java you actually have), then run SETUP.SH

At home having just walked the mutts, and my 1.7 build was a
few months back - so all that follows is from memory. Value it
accordingly.

Contrary to John, I prefer to have these things system-wide -
i.e. in /etc/profile. Just like SYS1.PARMLIB - I look after it,
and it's my responsibility to make it right.

We have always set JAVA_HOME without the "/bin"; when
constructing the $PATH, I then use $PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin. That
way it's always built correctly when versions change. As I was
installing the 64 bit 1.5 with z/OS 1.7, and there was 31-bit
1.4 (Java) on my old (z/OS) 1.4 system, I wrapped some simple
"if logic" around the assignment of JAVA_HOME so I could IPL
either z/OS 1.4 or 1.7 without screwing up the Java
environment. Well, not too much anyway.

Java needs to be ordered - the 1.4 used to be freely
downloadable, but (later ???) the SMP packaged version needed
to be ordered. Too long ago to remember exactly  I'm afraid.
For us the 64-bit had to be specifically added to the 1.7 order.