Can you provide some concrete examples? I don't follow what you mean. It sounds like you're doing it the hard way, though. If you want uncataloged data sets, just discard some or all of the catalogs ServerPac builds for you at the end...

The SSAs are there so that the catalog entries can be directed to catalogs other than the driving system's catalogs. They're deleted by one of the jobs later in the installation process (DELSSA, if memory serves).

Jousma, David wrote:

 I'm just the opposite.  The finished state for my systems, is to have
no SMPE TARGET's or DLIB's cataloged at all.  It would be nice if
Serverpack didn't require the targets to be cataloged as part of the
allocds/RESTORE job(with the exception of HFS/ZFS).  The dialogs know
what volumes they are being allocted to when restoring them all.  It
just seems easier because then there really is no use for the SSA's as
far as I can tell.  Every serverpac I do, I setup the dialogs with the
names I want, but then before I run the alloc job, I modify the
jobstream and change the target datasets.  I do the same in the restore
job, and when completed, uncatalog, and rename all the datasets to what
I wanted in the first place.  If the restore job just had a vol=ser
reference in the dd statements, I wouldn't even have to do that.
<snip>

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing