On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:13:26 -0600, Hal Merritt wrote:

>Elegant. I like that. It ought to work just fine.
>
>We make heavy use of such symbols. The price we pay is a setup
>(MOD,DELETE) step to position for a rerun. Now, this works very well,
>but the MOD,DELETE step for hundreds and hundreds of steps is S L O W as
>a slug. We actually use a REXX DSLIST function that seems to be faster
>than JCL, but it is still slow.

Deletes should be really fast. Unless you're actually allocating drives and
mounting tapes or something like that. One thing I found over the years is
to code BR14 delete's like this:

//SYSUT1   DD  DSN=xxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxx,
//             DISP=(MOD,DELETE,DELETE),
//             UNIT=(SYSDA,,DEFER),
//             SPACE=(TRK,(0,0),RLSE)

Works on tape datasets and disk, doesn't matter if the dataset exists or
not, and is fast.