I support a customer where the SMF DAILY and WEEKLY files are GDG-based and we
use a relative Julian
date (or week of year) to identify the particular file of interest.  On days
where no processing
occurs, it's conceivable to have a stub generation created.  A new year
requires creating a dummy or
"starter/adjustment" generation until that first daily or weekly job completes,
then delete the
stub, if required.

Possibly, a similar technique could be used if the generation # represented a
"**.GmmddV00" naming
pattern, though it would be necessary to "insert" a dummy generation
"**.G0200V00" and so on, then
maybe go back and delete the stub generation.  Obviously "daily" generations
for different years
(using the "mmdd" technique) would not be able to span years.

So, as I mentioned, this technique works well with Julian dates for a daily
file and also a week of
year (weekly being named "**.GyywwV00"), though some admin is required at the
start of a new year.

Suggestions for using "derived" JCL SET symbolics using some standardized
naming convention have
been mentioned previously on this forum and I would consider that the same
could apply in this
application but clearly with some research, test scenarios and well-documented
restart/recovery
procedures.

Sincerely,

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
________________________

From:         Tim Hare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      GDG question

I'm pretty sure I can do this, but I'm looking for a second opinion (and
"you're ugly, too" as my coworker said doesn't count <grin>).

I have the assistance of a job scheduler which can substitute variables in
JCL to help with this idea, so bear that in mind.

I want to create twelve GDGs,   prefix.whatever.JAN, prefix.whatever.FEB
and so forth.

Then, instead of creating prefix.whatever.JAN(+1) I want to create
prefix.whatever.JAN.G(day-of-month-with-leading-zeroes)V00 with
DISP=(NEW,CATLG).

In essence one generation per day of month, with missing generations if we
don't run that day (state holiday or whatever).

Then I want to be able to read  prefix.whatever.JAN as the complete set,
as you can do with GDGs.

Are there any holes in this theory that I'm overlooking?

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation
(850) 414-4209