Don Poitras writes:
>For PK24076, this [IBM Application Time Facility for z/OS, formerly
>Isogon TICTOC] is probably overkill. This fix is to the use of the
>TZ variable by LE programs. While some programs would be affected by
>changing the system time, most don't use TZ, and those that do can
>certainly be tested by simply setting the input times to be converted.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I was replying to the original poster's
question about tools/utilities.  It depends on how frequently
time/date-related issues could affect your system and applications(*), the
scope of testing, the relative risk/cost of time-related failure(s), labor
costs, and the (full) cost of the tool.  Really they're the same basic
principles you'd apply in deciding whether to get any testing tool.  As it
happens I was working with some colleagues yesterday to figure out whether
we should use a particular testing tool in a new project, and we debated
all those factors.

For the record, I've since learned CA has a competing product called
AllFusion Date Simulator.  Princeton Softech has another product in this
category called HourGlass.  There may be yet others.

(*) Japan, for example, doesn't have DST.  Businesses here with purely
domestic operations may not have the same issues as businesses that operate
in Australia, the U.S. (including especially Indiana), etc.  I should also
mention that it's not necessarily only your own code that merits testing.
Middleware, operating systems, and tools/utilities can also be relevant.
Ronald Reagan said "Trust, but verify" concerning Soviet treaty
obligations, and maybe that's good advice for testing vendor software as
well. :-)

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]