Speaking of the SAPR, here is the relevant information out of ours:

4.1.1 Minimum Operating System Requirements
The 2096 as well as Separate LPAR management of PUs requires at a
minimum:
* z/OS V1.5, V1.6, or V1.7 with PTFs.
* z/OS V1.4 with z/OS V1.4 z990 Compatibility Support feature (no longer
orderable) or z/OS V1.4 z990 Exploitation Support feature with PTFs.
* z/VM V4.4, V5.1, or V5.2 with PTFs.
* z/VSE V3.1.
* VSE/ESA V2.7 with PTFs.
* TPF 4.1 and z/TPF 1.1
* Linux on System z9 - the currently available distributions, SUSE SLES
9, Red
Hat RHEL 4.

One additional tidbit I just saw in the SAPR is that the z9BC will ONLY
run in LPAR mode, not basic.

I also have a manual called the z9BC reference guide which echos the
z/OS 1.4 +PTFs minimum requirement.

Based on Steve's comments and the SAPR documentation, I would say that
OS/390 1.3 will not run on the z9BC.

Rex