I thought that the zIIP was proprietary to IBM, I guess not anymore.  A
couple of snippets from the "DBTA 5 Minute Briefing".
Among the CA solutions announced today is Unicenter NetMaster Network
Management for TCP/IP, which offloads statistical analysis of packet flows
by its Packet Analyzer component and the trace processing performed by its
SmartTrace component to one or more zIIP engines. Another product,
BrightStor CA-Vtape Virtual Tape System, frees up capacity on general
purpose processors by offloading its processing to zIIP engines, thereby
reducing the cost of tape storage while adding greater scalability and
reliability to virtual tape implementations, CA said. Also announced was
BrightStor Tape Encryption, which employs zIIP engines to reduce general
processor capacity requirements, enabling customers to protect data with
existing hardware. CA also unveiled Unicenter NeuMICS Resource Management,
which enables system administrators to determine workloads that will
deliver maximum ROI through the zIIP processor.
Additional CA solutions, including the CA IDMS and CA DATACOM database
management systems, will exploit zIIP over the next 12 to 18 months,
according to the company. "It is kind of a slow, steady build towards
serious exploitation of the zIIP," said Re. "I think where we would like
to end up is that the customer could think of that zIIP engine almost as
an embedded management appliance. All of the management function runs
there, all of the stuff that you really don't want to use general
mainframe MIPS for ends up on that zIIP engine - it saves the customer a
lot of money and gives him a lot of flexibility about where to put these
different product functions."

"Craddock, Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
02/14/2007 08:45 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: CA and zIIPs

> Don't know about the rest of the 'stuff' in the announcement, but the
DB2
> Detector item doesn't really mean a whole lot, I don't think.
Detector
> gets
> it's data  by hooking the SQL PC's.  I would think that that means the
> Detector code has no choice but to run on whatever processor the
operating
> system has chosen for the SQL statement.  There may be more to this,
but I
> think that part of the announcement is just stating the obvious.

You're correct about that part. For Detector, it's just stating the
obvious. The whole announcement is a lot more comprehensive though.
There are products that merely observe the behavior of work on the zIIP.
They would be used for planning and tuning and other vendors have
similar function too.

However, the real meat of the announcement is that several of our
products really are exploiting zIIP engines to offload work from the
general purpose engines. They are using the formal IBM interfaces that
allow them to run on a zIIP. So that's considerably different than just
being a casual bystander. And there will be more coming. Maybe it's not
your father's CA after all?

CC