------------------------<snip>---------------------------
Good points. Note, however, that there's a difference between requiring mixed-case passwords and having overly strict password rules. A rule requiring 8-character passwords, with at least one upper case alpha, one lower case alpha, and one numeric is not overly strict, and can be met easily by the users.
That's true, Walt. But how do you prevent the user from burying his id, or an anagram of it, in the password without using an exit? We found that to be the most prevalent security-related issue when we had to grant acces to non-DP oriented users, like the traders on the floor at the Chicago Board of Trade.

(Forcing regular password changes was a whole other issue. <G>)