-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 1:01 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mixed Case Password on z/OS 1.7 and ACF 2 Version 8

<snip>

> We are becoming unsecure by trying to be so secure. Not everyone has
> photographic memory so that they can remember all their
> userid/password
> combinations (where they can write it down, look at it, then
> destroy the
> paper).
>
> This is why PDAs are becoming dangerous as are laptops with their
> "wallets" and the like where people keep their userids and
> passwords in
> their browsers.
>
> I do not have the answer(s), I just started thinking about the simple
> solutions that people will use, but allow risk of compromise being
> increased.
>
> Later,
> Steve Thompson

One thing that can be done with the Konqueror web browser and KDE on
Linux is to use "KDE Wallet". This is an encrypted file which contains
various userids and passwords. Konqueror (and other software) can
interface with the "KDE Wallet". The program asks for the wallet's
password and pass it to the interface along with the resource whose
password is needed. The wallet then gives the appropriate password back
to the application. This may have been what you were talking about with
"wallets", but I'm not sure.

<SNIP>

You mean, should your computer (laptop) be stolen, one could then boot
using a LIVE Linux CD, and crack the wallet contents... Come to think of
it, with a LIVE Linux CD, one can crack NTFS files used by Windows....

This is why in our pursuit of security, we make ourselves unsecure
because of all the accounts we have that we have to have a userid and
password for. And if kept in that wallet, once it is hacked, what damage
could be done?

Think about this for a moment. How many web sites require you to
register before you can look at their content. This adds to the issue.

How many use the same throw-away userid across as many junk
sites/accounts as possible, but keep the same password as they use for
their banking ids? While I may have said this backwards, I think you can
see the point.

Again, I do not have a solution because the things that I would have
pointed out or pointed to have already been shown to not be so secure
after all by others on IBM-Main.

Regards,
Steve Thompson