Correct, Dutch and German do it that way.
I never regarded as keen to see time pass by, but more as "halfway
towards 8 o'clock". This could both be interpreted, comparable to the
glass either being half full or half empty, as "only just halfway" or
"already halfway". I feel it as the last.

Kees.

"Chris Mason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Paul,
>
> Regarding your difficulty with the lady. There are European languages
- of a
> generally Teutonic persuasion I believe - where the speakers are so
keen to
> see time pass that they anticipate the approaching hour by starting at
the
> half-way point. Thus, when literally translated, "half eight" means
7.30.
> This, of course, is a recipe for confusion when "half past eight" is
> trendily reduced to "half eight".
>
> Chris Mason

e-mail, and delete this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM),
its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or
incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for
any delay in receipt.
33014286