Receiving Timely Payments

My experience some years ago with a vendor well known to this list was that our A-P department took the view that a "net 30" contract meant they should pay 30 days after receipt of the invoice, and not a day earlier. The vendor took the view that they would send out the new licence key upon receipt of payment. Needless to say, this almost always meant that we had to request emergency keys to tide us over.

Now as an ISV employee, I see many Fortune 500 companies that have A-P departments who, as a matter of policy, push the limits much further, and more often.

At Cole Software, our own experience is that once a Purchase Order has been cut and an Invoice accepted, by far the majority of our customers pay within 30 days. Occasionally, it might take 40 days, but it doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned, that's close enough.

As a person with a programming background, I didn't know much about account payment procedures. I used to think, hey I send the invoice, I get payment. Simple, right? Wrong!

Most accounting departments won't even accept an invoice unless they already have a Purchase Order to match it up to. And to get an accounting department to generate a purchase order, you've got to get another department (our actual customer, the programming department) to generate a Request for Purchase Order (RPO). And all this takes time and for some companies a lot of hand holding on our part.

The trick is to get the RPO-PO-invoice freight train rolling early enough so that the A-P Department will accept our invoice early enough that we can get paid reasonably close to the lease expiration date. This is where our Accounts Receivables department plays an important role. At this small company, I am bless to have working for me Kaye Crabill, a person who has had extensive experience with corporate accounting and who has taught our A-R people the ins and outs with dealing with A-P departments. It takes a lot of hand holding on our part, but the benefit is that we almost always receive our payments within 30 (sometimes 40) days.

About Licensing Keys Coercion

Possibly the only way to bring these A-P departments into line is to have a notice in the invoice that says failure to pay promptly means that the product will stop working. Frankly too many governments and companies are playing games that penalize the honest vendor and cause prices to rise for those who honor the terms of the agreement.

I think a decoupling of the keys issue and the payments is called for, and indeed in the real world this happens much of the time.

Emergency keys and the aggravation they cause may be the only way to get some bureaucracies to move. Unfrotunately this puts the sysprog in the middle of a fight.

I strongly believe that the withholding of licensing keys should never be used as a negotiating tactic in any situation. In fact, our standard software lease agreement contains the following language regarding this subject. Note particularly the last sentence:

    License Control Data: Customer understands and agrees
    that activation of the Products is controlled by License
    Control Data that must, from time to time, be applied to
    the Products. License Control Data is designed to
    control both the computers on which the Products will
    function and the time periods within which the Products
    will function. (This control provides both asset
    protection for Cole and liability protection for both
    Cole and Customer.) The furnishing of License Control
    Data to Customer does not, in and of itself, establish
    the right of Customer to use the Products. During the
    term of this Agreement and any extension thereof, Cole
    shall furnish License Control Data to Customer as needed
    for the uninterrupted use of the Products by Customer on
    the Designated Computer at the Designated Site. Cole
    shall not withhold License Control Data from Customer
    for any reason other than termination of this Agreement.

But when push comes to shove ...

While most customers are perfectly reasonable once you understand and cooperate with their procedures, there is the occasional outlier. And one of those outliers in recent years has, sadly, been one of the largest software companies in this industry (not IBM). On the last go around, they pushed us out to 90 days plus! [Side note: I've noticed over the years a strong correlation in major companies of slow pay with financial difficulties. I guess that's a DUH!]

So while I am unwilling to withhold licensing keys as a negotiating tactic, I nevertheless am willing to withhold long lasting keys... But with this particular company, that was not enough. The sysprog's pain of having to apply weekly keys (following our already built in 30 day grace period), and the IT department's pain of receiving nag messages every time they used z/XDC, was not sufficient to give the A-P department any pain whatsoever.

Well, the loophole in my contract's language is, of course, that I can withhold keys when the contract terminates. And nonpayment is, of course, grounds for termination. It actually took a notice of termination to finally get payment! A drastic measure, but at ninety days out, it was definitely time to get drastic!

Dave Cole              REPLY TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cole Software          WEB PAGE: http://www.colesoft.com
736 Fox Hollow Road    VOICE:    540-456-8536
Afton, VA 22920        FAX:      540-456-6658