Thompson, Steve wrote:
> /snip
> And to someone else's post about this, an assembly took all 4 of our
> tape drives, and the minimal assembly (NO macros) took 30 minutes (give
> or take about 15 seconds). Most of that was just initializing things on
> the work tapes!!! I say that because I used:
> TEST      START x'1000'
>           USING *,R3
>           NOPR  0
>           END   TEST
>
> A real assembly (that would expand to about 1K in size) with 3 DTFs took
> about an hour. One learned to use REP cards, and clearly notate on the
> listings what was zapped and why.
> /unsnip

The site I worked at learnt early to split the DTFs out from the
application logic aand include them via a link edit. We also never used
the common macros eg, OPEN, CLOSE, GET, PUT, and couple of printer
positioning macros but hand coded the expansions. All in the name of
getting assemblies done in a reasonable time. The "sysres" tape had at
leat two sections to it, a "Core Image Library" for laod modules at the
beginning and at the end a "Source Statement Library" for the macros and
copy books. You knew during an assembly when it had found a macro as the
tape started spinning  to the back of the tape. From memory the 2415
drives where 20KB/sec.

Shmuel Metz said

That's certainly true for BPS/360, but the 360/20 was not a S/360 and
needed its own software.

IBM called it a System 360. It had many things in common with other
S/360's and many peculiarities of it's own. It wasn't the only S/360
that had differences from the norm.

It was sufficiently S/360 for my wife to write a program to convert our
entire application library, 100% assembler, from what assembled and
worked on the model 20 to work under DOS/VS on a S370/125.  Probably 99%
of the work was done by the conversion program AND it highlighted the
remaining 1% for human attention.  Having said that neither she or I or
any of the other 3 programmers would ever have written code that looked
like the converted code.

Ken