On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:27:59 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <shmuel+ibm-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It was the only one that was grossly incompatible. The others may have
>been missing instructions but the instructions they did have behaved
>in accordance with S/360 PoOps.

As I recall, some of the "registers" actually had hard-coded values;
they could be used as base registers but little else.  I have no idea
what happened if you tried storing into them.   That alone supports your
"grossly incompatable" assertion.

It didn't even bother to pretend its linkage conventions were the same as
s/360.  It used something other than the s/360 linkage instructions BAL
and BALR (BAS and BASR, as I recall).

Pat O'Keefe