Mark

This would seem to indicate a requirement.

I would expect that there is a point within z/OS associated with analysing
command input which "knows" all the characters so that a command can be
routed appropriately. Thus it should be possible to have a command which
displays all the characters in use at any one time with some sort of hint as
to where the command with each character is routed.

I'm not at all really knowledgeable in this area having only come across it
in system programmer terms in connection with NetView so there may be some
obvious flaw in this argument.

And I think I may have worked out or vaguely remembered what the flaw might
be. If each command is routed through different components having an
interest in commands, it is only each component which knows its own
character - in general. Perhaps the best that can be asked for is a command
which displays some identification for each of these components - which, for
all I know, may exist already.

Whether or not such a command exists probably the only solution is to impose
a discipline within your shop to keep a home-grown member of PARMLIB where
all such characters are noted manually for the benefit of other system
programmers. In the days I managed a number of test/education systems, I
needed to do this sort of thing quite a lot just as an aide-memoire to
myself.

Chris Mason