Unlike most new threads that end up in ancient history and then have to be
killed, this one starts out with ancient history!  What an opportunity for  us
Jurassic-types.  Since I was non-email-capable for two weeks, I read all  old
posts before adding my 2 cents' worth, which embody responses to many

Don't know about MFT, but MVT was reclassified as Class C (meaning frozen,
no more new releases, no more fixes) in November, 1977.  I continued  working
with it and other OS/360 variants off and on until late 1983.

PCP did indeed stand for Primary Control Program.

I used BPS, TOS, and DOS from mid-1966 to late 1971.  The worst thing  that
the tape-resident-SYSRES TOS had to do was to recover from an I/O error on  the
SYSRES tape itself - backspace or forwardspace to fetch the system  module to
do the recovery, whose logic said to retry the failing I/O, so move  the tape
back to where the error was, re-read ten times, then, if it still  failed,
move the tape way back to the beginning again to locate the system  module to
do
the ABEND process.  Truly heinous and egregious.

BPS had a 2-pass 8K card assembler available for hard-core warriors.   You
put the standard BPS self-loading IPL deck (all of 6 cards) in the card  reader
followed by the 8K card assembler phase 1 object deck followed by your  source
deck and IPLed from the card reader.  The first phase punched one  output
card, containing intermediate Assembly data, for each input source  card.  Then
you put the 6-card BPS IPL deck in the card reader followed by  the 8K card
assembler phase 2 object deck followed by all the cards punched out  in phase 1
and IPLed from the card reader again.  This second phase punched  the final
object deck.  In order to run the program thus assembled, you  again put the
6-card self-loading IPL deck in the card reader followed by this  object deck
and
reIPLed from the card reader.  So you had  an "operating system" with major
limitations:  (1) only one program  could run at a time, (2) you had to re-IPL
whenever you wanted to run a  different program, and (3) the operator performed
the operating system's  functions of running one job after another.

The first version of BPS did not support multiplexing on the multiplexor
channel.  Regardless of how cleverly you tried to overlap I/O, when you did
the
EXCP the supervisor would do a SIO to start the I/O and then a TIO loop  until
the I/O completed before returning control to the instruction just after  the
EXCP's SVC.  More heinosity and egregiousness.

MVT was first virtualized in early 1974 as OS/VS2 Release 1, better known  as
SVS (Single Virtual Storage).  A fuller version, OS/VS2 Release  2, was
available a year or so later, and it was quickly renamed MVS  for Multiple
Virtual
Storages.  MFT evolved into VS1.

I heard about COS, for Compatibility Operating System, but I'm not  sure what
was made compatible with what (maybe it was a 360/20 emulator running  on a
360/30?).

Bill  Fairchild
Plainfield, IL

"Criticism and dissent are the indispensable  antidote to major delusions."
[Alan Barth, 1951; The Loyalty of Free  Men]
http://www.aol.com.