>From Barry Merrill:
" Writing an SMF record is an SVC call to the SMF address space, with no
physical I/O that has to be managed.  Writing to GTF requires the DB2
Address Space to have to manage each of those tiny chunk writes.  I can
see no way in which the overhead to write to GTF would not be
significantly more than sending the
records to SMF.   But this is an option based on the way I think it
works,
and is not based on actual measurements. "

Actually I do have a question about this that maybe someone from IBM can
answer: Does the I/O to GTF tapes happen in DB2 or in GTF? How does the
data get from DB2 to the GTF tape? Is Barry correct that the overhead
would be higher to write to GTF vs SMF?
Thanks,
Jon

Jon L. Veilleux
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(860) 636-2683

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If
you think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the
sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.
Thank you. Aetna