Our SMF offload process uses Batch REXX to examine first record of SMF dataset for a time stamp and uses that as part of a unique dataset name for the offload tape, rather than using GDG's. The offload SYSOUT is analyzed and saved in a DASD dataset with a name containing both the start and end time of data on that offload (from which the name of the corresponding offload tape can be deduced).

The daily SMF processing job analyzes the names of all the SMF offload DASD dsns and from that builds the job to merge all the tapes and delete all datasets associated with the previous day's run that are no longer needed.

This avoids any GDG contention issues with the offload process, makes it possible to run multiple offloads concurrently, and also makes it easy to locate relevant tape data if needed prior to the nightly tape merge. The actual offload tapes are written to CA-Vtape virtual tape and isolated to a unique aggregation group, so a day's tapes typically get staged to a single 3590 cartridge, which minimizes recall time during the daily merge.

Veilleux, Jon L wrote:
We are running into issues with the volume of SMF records that we need
to process. We create a GDG every day for that day's records.
Occasionaly we run into contention issues during the day but mostly it
hits us at the end of the day when we read the day's records from the
GDG and split the output into various other tapes for specific functions
(accounting, performance, etc). While that job is reading the many tapes
created during the day, the GDG base is locked so our dump jobs are
forced to wait which eventually causes lost SMF data.
Has anyone else run into this problem? How are other shops handling high
SMF volumes?
We have 4 SMF datasets on each LPAR. Two are 3000 cyl and two are 1500
cyl. A side issue is that we are capturing DB2 trace records in SMF. We have
tried to turn them off but our performance area 'needs' them. We would
like to move these records from SMF to GTF but we use MXG and were told
that MXG cannot handle input from GTF. Any ideas? Is anyone using MXG
with GTF input?

Thanks much for any help!

Jon
Jon L. Veilleux
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(860) 636-2683
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        [EMAIL PROTECTED]