>Openlist is defined in my DSECT area:

>  openlist  open  0,mode=31,mf=l
>+OPENLIST DC    0F'0'
>+         DC    AL1(128)
>+         DC    AL3(0)
>+         DC    A(0)

If truly in the "DSECT area", then that is the problem. Having something
with DC's in a "DSECT" does not do any initialization. Therefore it seems
logical to presume that the storage was not initialized.

>I get S0C4 that
>points to the next instruction after my OPEN,

On most 0C4's, the PSW is the updated after-program-check PSW. You should
therefore look at the instruction before what the PSW points to in order to
see the instruction that "caused" the PIC 4. It is extremely unlikely that
the 0C4 was within OPEN processing itself (i.e., the SVC processing) yet
the PSW for the PIC 4 shows within your module. But if you are not actually
looking at the time-of-error PSW, it is quite possible that the PSW for
your RB points to the instruction after the SVC.

>However, in the case of OPEN, you can just do an MVI
>openlist,X'80' for an input file.

This is a very bad idea. The interface to services documented by macro is
the macro. If you "do it yourself" all bets are off.

>2) IBM has a lot of funny macros that were shoehorned into RENT
>support. For these it's necessary to define a copy in your
>CSECT, and another in your DSECT, and move the pattern.

This was hardly "shoehorned". It was a very intentional optimization (which
newer macros have largely abandoned because of the complexity) to avoid
doing tihngs at runtime that can be determined at assembly time. It also
was required by the IBM standards that were in place for a long time,
whereby execute form was not allowed to set anything other than what was
specified on the execute invocation.. This is the standard MO for just
about every macro produced before the mid 80's. Some of those macros
support a "COMPLETE" suboption of MF on the execute form which indicates to
do complete initialization of the parameter area (and do complete syntax
checking for required parameters)..

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design