Had to look up 'Mixed Mode' first and it seems to be related to
DBCS.

Here's what the tutorial page says on 'Mixed Mode':

  You can edit unformatted mixed data which contains both
  EBCDIC (one-byte) characters and Double Byte Character Set (DBCS
  or two-byte) characters. To do this, you must specify mixed
mode.
  The field is provided on the Edit entry panel for specifying
  the operation mode:

      Enter "/" to select option
      / Mixed Mode

      where "/" indicates mixed mode edit, and
            " " indicates conventional edit.

  If the terminal does not support DBCS, the operation mode is
ignored.

As I do not have the slightest experience with DBCS I can't be of
more help unfortunately.

The tutorial pages on HILITE do not mention explicitly whether
DBCS is supported or not. Your experience suggests it is not.

Kind regards

Robert Bardos
Ansys AG, Zurich, Switzerland