In a message dated 3/28/2007 8:18:08 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Also - just to help a little with English - the strict answer to your
question is "Yes" - and that's it.

The question was "Could you xxxxxx."  This is correct as far as the  English
that I learned 50+ years ago in my childhood English grammar  classes, but not
so far as current, slangy, idiomatic, and au courant  English spoken by the
average illiterate American on the street.  When I am  in line at a fast food
restaurant, I come to a slow boil when I hear someone in  front of me say "Can
I have xxx?", and then I am enraged when the person  taking his order says
"Yes".  As we all know, the person taking the  order cannot possibly know
whether
or not the person wanting to buy xxx can have  it or can't have it.  Probably
only the orderer, his doctor, or his  personal trainer knows that.  And even
if he were to say "May I have xxx?",  then the order-taker might say "Yes" but
still should not do anything else  until the orderer finally says "Please
give me xxx" or "I would like xxx", which  is what I always say when it is my
turn to order.  But then I happen to  know what "can" [1] and "may" [2] mean
literally, and I have been a  literalist all my life.  My language literalism
has
served me quite well in  writing and debugging code, but it has gotten me in
trouble several times with  other people who cannot [1] think or converse
literally.

Bill Fairchild
Plainfield, IL

[1] "Can I have xxx" means literally "Am I physically capable of having
xxx?" or "Do I know how to have xxx?"

[2] "May I have xxx" means "Am I permitted to have xxx?" or "Is it possible
for me to have xxx?", and it is not the same as asking for or ordering  xxx.