In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 03/26/2007
   at 04:53 PM, Dave Salt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Why *isn't* it a limitation of ISPF? ISPF is the user interface to
>the  mainframe, in just the same way as Windows is the user interface
>to the PC.  If I'm working on my PC and I click a PDF document,
>Windows opens the Adobe  reader. If I click an XMI file (which
>MicroSoft might not even have heard  of), Windows launches the XMI
>browser I downloaded.

Untrue. Windoze launches applications based on an association of file
extensions to applications that has to be registered. If the
installation utility for the application fails to set the correct
association, or if the file doesn't have the expected extension, then
windoze does *not* launch the correct application. Until IBM and
MicroSoft debug their respective crystal balls, both ISPF and Windows
will have to remain dependent on external customization.