-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of (IBM Mainframe Discussion List)
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:40 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Question about SuperWylbur

In a message dated 3/29/2007 3:07:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>When did Wylbur become SuperWylbur?

To add a little more to Steve Thompson's reply:
WYLBUR, and its required telecommunications component ORVYL (might not
have
spelled that one right, but how clever), were developed at NIH and thus
were
in  the public domain.

<SNIP>
They were developed at Stanford U. One of the original developers is
known to many of you at the HLASM guy, one Dr. John Erhman.

Stanford had the name Wylbur trademarked and OBS and later ACS had to
discuss a few things with Stanford about the Trademark. I got the
impression in 1995-6 time frame that the Trademark had died. ORVYL and
Wylbur were named for some right brothers <\subtle hint>. But since I
turned it over to ACS legal, and the legal department was about as
responsive to me as a dead cobra...

Oh yes, some of the improvements to Wylbur under OBS was full 3270
support with COLOR, JES2 SRB (where we went into the JES 2 address space
and stole the spool output for display). And the JES2 or JES3 SSI
support that kind of did the same thing.

Regards,
Steve Thompson