Okay, this is probably the dumbest question of the day, maybe of the month.
I am in a discussion with someone and I need some backup for my way of
thinking.

If a jobstep reports, for example

IEF374I STEP/STEP0010/STOP  2007086.1135 CPU    0MIN 00.02SEC

then it is reporting .02 seconds on a single CPU of the box, is that
correct? This number would presumably be little changed if the same box went
from, say, a 4-way to an 8-way, is that correct? In other words, this is .02
seconds on one CPU, regardless of the number of CPUs in the box, and
regardless of the total horsepower (MIPS or MSUs) of the box, right? The
only thing that would make this number change significantly would be running
it on a box on which each individual CPU was faster or slower -- for
example, if each individual CPU was only half as fast it would presumably
make it go to about .04 CPU seconds, right? It would not matter if the new
box were twice or half as many MSUs, only whether each individual CPU were
faster or slower. A "more-MSUs" box would presumably be able to run more
such jobs in a day, but each job would still use the same number of CPU
seconds, assuming the same speed of CPU?

A corollary would be that an 8-way box, for example, has 8 x 86,400 total
CPU seconds available to jobs each day (minus overhead and z/OS internal
usage, etc.)?

Charles Mills