We also use STK VSM's and 9940b's on the backend.  I've used VDR in the
past and it does work extremely well, but it sounds like you are not going to
have any other tape drives other then backend drives and virtual drives.  So
I'm not sure how VDR would help you.  STK does have a feature with their
software called DR Utilities, and you could FTP the manifest file and your CDS,
and possibly a libgen, and a dr config.  Or if you have the option of running
with clustered VSMs then you replicate to your DR site.  The VSMs match all
your data is there.  Let me know how it goes.