Software margins are higher than hw margins. Any software that IBM sells,
not just mf sw, will yield more profit than selling hw. IBM is certainly
not acting like a company that wants to divest itself of a product line
such as the mainframe. Acquisitions like Candle, Vanguard and Consul
bolster the mf sw portfolio. New technology such as the specialty engines
of zAAP and zIIP demonstrate support of the platform. And IBM's fairly
recent (in the last 5-7 years) entry into the tools market does not
indicate complacency or a step back. Even CA, HP and Oracle are actively
supporting either existing mf boxes or experimenting with comparable
technology.

We may be talking about two different things. The IBM business model, and
the future of the mf.  Clearly, IBM owns the most market share of mfs. And
IBM wants to optimize profits in the mf space. Some of its actions to
optimize profits may appear to others as a "killing off" of some aspects.
But the future of the mf---as a mixed workload server with 5/9
availability and high RAS--is strong and long.

Marcia Harelik
IBM
Market Management/zSeries and Linux Software
US, Canada, Latin America
Austin, Texas
512-380-9680

Jon Brock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
04/04/2007 09:29 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: IBM to the PCM market

I doubt it.  Someone on this very list -- Phil Payne, maybe? -- has
pointed out that mainframe software margins are a large part of the total
profit IBM rakes in.

Jon

<snip>
I suspect instead, it wants us to have huge, secure, database machines
that are fast and use up less energy than Windows farms - and IBM
doesn't care how we choose to display the data on our desktops.   And
it would be quite content if we dropped z/OS, as long as we use its
hardware.
</snip>