Howard Brazee wrote:
OK, as long as it uses its system.    Customers aren't interested in
operating systems.  Customers are interested in the total cost of the
whole package.   Now, IBM has to take extra care to not be bundling,
but it can work with partners to do this.    We want a secure, capable
black (blue) box that costs less to process our data than other
systems. Big Box machines can be extremely competitive here.
But it doesn't need to run like our old System 360 machines.   So
don't work at making a better z/OS or ISPF.   Work at providing us
database machines where we don't see this nitty-gritty.   And then
look at what price works best for the whole system to get the business
they want.

since you mentioned it, i somewhat ran into some of this with working on
getting out virgil/tully
(138/148) in the mid-70s ... some amount of topic drift in this thread over in
a.f.c
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#42 1960s: IBM mgmt mistrust of SLT for
ICs?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#44 1960s: IBM mgmt mistrust of SLT for
ICs?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#46 1960s: IBM mgmt mistrust of SLT for
ICs?

and the above also includes reference to this URL ... which gives a slightly
different
perspective on some of the issues (from the period)
http://cbi.tepper.cmu.edu/papers/cbi_workingpaper-1994-02.html