On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:11:06 -0500, Marcia Harelik wrote:

>IBM is not killing off the mainframe. Quite the contrary. What makes you
>think that? IBM is investing deeply in technology improvements and
>advancements.

Ten years ago, IBM said they were not killing off OS/2.

Today, IBM is most definitely killing off the mainframe.  Look at the
installed base if you don't believe it.  IBM likes to point out that the
installed MIPS continues to grow, but if it's not doubling every
18 months or so, it is shrinking.

We all know numerous installations that are no longer running
mainframes.  Many other mainframe shops continue to run about the
same workload as they were running ten years ago with only
marginal increases in mainframe capacity.  10-15% per year is big
mainframe growth these days.  These same companies have had
explosive growth in their Unix and Windows servers.

I believe that it is not IBM's intention to kill off the mainframe.  I am
betting my livelihood on it.  IBM's short-sighted policies and pricing
strategies have been encouraging many shops to shut down the
mainframe.  It is a trend that continues with no sign of letting up.
Even most of the biggest mainframe shops have slowed their
mainframe growth to a crawl.  Why doesn't IBM see it?  Why hasn't
IBM done anything to slow the tide?

Tom Marchant