From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Barkow, Eileen
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:39 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: gdg question

can one of you gurus out there please shed some light on this, since i
am not sure what the answer should be or whether or not this is normal,
since

these jobs supposedly have been running and working for the last 20
years (although i am not sure if they ever ran at the same time).

normally these batch jobs do not pose a problem,

 but the one waiting on the dataset (JOBA) was also holding another
dataset that

CICS needed and could not get to.

1. JOBA allocates a new gdg level with DISP=OLD

   DSN=XXXX.TBC.PTNT.SASFILE.NEW(+1),UNIT=TAPE3480,

   DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),DCB=(MODLDSCB),LABEL=RETPD=4

   and in several later steps references the gdg via

   DD DSN=xxxx.TBC.PTNT.SASFILE.NEW(+1),DISP=OLD

2. JOBB is running at the same times but references the current level of
the gdg:

   DD DSN=XXXX.TBC.PTNT.SASFILE.NEW(0),DISP=OLD

   in addition, several other jobs were also running which allocated the
dataset with DISP=SHR

   DD DSN=XXXX.TBC.PTNT.SASFILE.NEW(0),DISP=SHARE

3. JOBA remains on the execution queue waiting for the dataset:

   IEF863I DSN = XXXX.PTNT.SASFILE.NEW JOBA

   IEF099I JOB TBCDAILY WAITING FOR DATA SETS

now, why is the IEF863I msg indicating just a dataset name with  no gdg
level.

and since JOBA and JOBB are referencing different gdg levels, why should
should JOBA be waiting for the dataset?