The answer to your question is ..... It depends.

I have HP-XP disk, IBM DS6800, EMC Clariion.  Case in point, I lost 2
disks on one weekend on the HP disk array about 3 years ago and I think
I've lost 2 total since then.  None of them were hard failures but
preventive maintenance due to soft errors.  I have lost 2 on the
Clariion within the past 2 weeks, one hard failure and one soft - but I
just installed upgraded firmware on the controllers recently which
purportedly made the predictive analysis better, so were these drives
throwing errors before that weren't being caught or not?  I've been
running the DS6800 for about a year now and haven't suffered a failure
on it yet.

One minor frustration on the HP disk, which is attached to my Z as well
as HP-UX and AIX boxes.  The Z only uses the HP disk at night for data
exchange between Z and HP-UX.  Invariably I find out that the HP disk
has a failure when the Z starts using the array.  Regardless of whether
the failing HDA is being used on the Z or not, the Z is the only box
reporting the SIM errors.  It would be nice if the other platforms would
have a better error reporting structure.

In the case of both the HP and EMC disk, the dynamic sparing (as well as
the RAID configurations) worked as advertised.  Completely painless
replacements.

HTH

Rex