-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Zelden
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Maximum PS dataset size

<SNIP>
It depends on a setting in IGDSMSxx.  The new default in z/OS 1.8 is
to allow large format sequential data sets to be used without changes
to the DCBE macro.  But that doesn't mean SAS can use them without
changes.   I think programs that use note/point don't work without
changes.
<SNIP>

This only works for a Wanna-Be large (DSNTYPE=LARGE). If the D/S has
more than 64K tracks on any volume, then it doesn't work -- If the first
volume is that way, you will get an ABEND S213, if it is on a subsequent
volume, then ABEND S737.

And for NOTE/POINT, it depends. There are now two formats for basic and
large: TTR0 or TTTR. So you must give POINT the same format that NOTE
gives so you know where & what to add/subtract. The format depends on
the presence of BLOCKTOKENSIZE=LARGE in the DCBE.

EXCP can do all of this (after all, all the Access Methods boil down to
SSCH). It depends on just how much code you want to write and how many
issues you want to handle.

[Majority of this is from a co-worker who battled through all of this to
support these options in one of our products here.]

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed herein are those of the poster (under influence of
Ed). Employer of poster may have different opinions. Employer's lawyers
probably have even more. --