On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:12:13 -0400, Thompson, Steve
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

<snip>

Then that sounds like the old default of BLOCKTOKENSIZE(REQUIRE)
being coded in IGDSMSxx (but the default could be changed in z/OS 1.7).

This from "z/OS 1.8 DFSMS Using Data Sets":

BLOCKTOKENSIZE(REQUIRE) in IGDSMSxx in SYS1.PARMLIB -  Every OPEN for
          a large format data set requires the BLOCKTOKENSIZE=LARGE
          parameter on the DCBE macro, unless the data set contains n
          more that 65 535 tracks on each volume and the OPEN is
          either EXCP, BSAM or QSAM, or for update using BSAM or QSAM

BLOCKTOKENSIZE(NOREQUIRE) in IGDSMSxx in SYS1.PARMLIB - Applications
          can access large format data sets under more conditions
          without having to signify BLOCKTOKENSIZE=LARGE on the DCBE
          macro.  The applications and data sets must meet any of the
          following conditions:

           o  The access method is QSAM or it is BSAM without the NOT
              or POINT macros.

           o  The access method is BSAM with the NOTE or POINT macros
              (MACRF=xP is coded) and the data set has no more than
              65535 tracks the volume and the OPEN option is INPUT or
              UPDAT.

           o  The access method is EXCP (MACRF=E is coded) and the
              data set has no more than 65535 tracks on the volume an
              the OPEN option is INPUT.

          BLOCKTOKENSIZE(NOREQUIRE) is the default if that system
          option is not specified.

OPEN will issue an ABEND 213-10 for large format sequential data sets
if the access method is not QSAM, BSAM, or EXCP. OPEN will issue an
ABEND 213-14, 213-15, 213-16, or 213-17 and EOV will issue ABEND
737-44 or 737-45 if the application program cannot access the whole
data set on the volume (primary, secondary, or a subsequent volume).

--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO