Lizette

Cant think of anything which 'counts' records quicker than DFSORT

James F. Smith
-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Lizette Koehler
Sent: 26 April 2007 20:36
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Better way to count records

I have about a billion ways - well not quite - to count records in a data
set.  I am looking for advise as to what would be the most efficient way to
run either under TSO or BATCH.

We do have FILEAID and a couple of other tools.  We are z/OS V1.7.

I want to just find out the total number of records in a PS file.  If I
write a REXX using EXECIO then I run into region size problems if there is a
huge number of records.  If I write an assembler program, then someone would
need to maintain it (I am the only one that does assembler at this shop).
So just looking for some additional thoughts as to what I can use to just
get a record count.

We are trying to determine if the space allocation is efficient for these
files.  There has been a lot of copying of JCL over the years and we feel
that perhaps this is causing some issue because a lot of the files are being
resized by DTS Software (DIF and SRS).  This we believe is adding to the
long run times of these jobs.  If the files could be sized better, then
perhaps the jobs would not run as long.

All thoughts and opions are appreciated.

Lizette