When reading your email again I think you are really trying to solve a
different problem.

You have long running jobs.  How a file is sized, 10 cylinders used in a
10 cylinder data set or 10 cylinders used in a 100 cylinder data set, is
not going to change how fast a job runs.  The extra 90 cylinders are
just never looked at.

BUT, if you have 10 cylinders of data that is poorly blocked and takes
100 cylinders to hold it, THAT is a different question.  That will take
more time to process.

I have not been in DASD performance for a long time, so I don't know of
any CBT file or commercial product that has something that can analyze
RECFM/LRECL/BLKSIZE relationships.

Or maybe I totally missed her question.

Christopher Y. Blaicher
BMC Software, Inc.
Austin Development Labs
(512) 340-6154
The comments made are my personal opinions. BMC Software, Inc. makes no
representations or promises regarding the reliability, completeness, or
accuracy of the information provided in this discussion; all readers
agree not to rely on this information or take any action against BMC
Software in response to this information.