We are running ZFS under SUB=MSTR so it has no conflict with JES2
shutdown.
Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Shane Ginnane
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:03 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: JES2 Shutdown issue on z/os 1.7

Rogers wrote on 27/04/2007 02:21:07 AM:

> We just migrated from 1.4 to 1.7 on our production lpar about 1.5
weeks
> ago.
> The first shutdown on 1.7 caused JES2 not to come down clean, thus
> forcing an ABEND to end it.
> Our second shutdown did the same thing.
>
> All of our NJE line & printer are DRAINED.
> Every thing looks fine, but I think it may be due to either ZFS or USS
> causing this problem.
> What am I missing here?
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem under 1.7?

As suggested, probably zFS.
My ops reported this last week on our test system - I presumed it was
recent as we have been 1.7 since December. I've certainly never seen it
before when I've done shutdowns (I added zFS with 1.7).
JES2 queries ($DA,X) show nothing.

In this case the customer has no real automation - uses a VTAMAPPL like
system; bunch of commands in a member, with some WAITs. The stop for zFS

was just in front of the "F BPXOINIT,SHUTDOWN=..." commands.
Just did some test. Looking at the log, the "F
BPXOINIT,SHUTDOWN=FILESYS"
never responded, and obviously isn't smart enough to pend until the zFS
shutdown completes.
Re-issuing the "F BPXOINIT,SHUTDOWN=FILESYS" resolves the issue so JES2
can terminate cleanly in response to (another) $PJES2.

Moving the "F BPXOINIT,SHUTDOWN=..." commands before the "P ZFS" also
works, and is our long-term solution. Might also look at using "F
OMVS,SHUTDOWN" instead to see if that removes the timing exposure.

Shane ...