Greg,

Most of what I have done in the past centred on aggressive use of space
recovery software. I used ACC/SRS, but the same or similar can be achieved
with Stop-X37 (whatever it is called now) and SMS. I've run development
systems with average 4% free space this way.

1) Fewer and Larger Storage Groups - I generally work with five core storage
groups. I worked in shops with 80+ STORGRUPs, (128 is my record) and
consolidating these down to 5 was the single largest change that reduced X37
abends

2) Everything is multivolume. Combined with large Storage Groups, allocation
is encouraged to overflow on many volumes. I set the default for all
allocations to 5 volumes in the DATACLAS and with ACC, and used the ADDVOL
rules in SRS to automatically add volumes as a file grew. Files in 20-30
extents across 10-20 volumes are normal. This also helped reduce IOSQ for
large datasets.

3) Smallish primary allocation sizes. If everything can be multivolume and
multi-extent then why try and allocate everything in one extent. I used ACC
and Datclasses to reduce primary allocation sizes - the largest was 500
Cyls.

4) Primary Space reduction in SRS (Stop-x37, whatever). If you can't get it
the first time, try again. Reduction percentage should not be too small or
you spend a lot of MIPS redriving the allocation - I like 25%.

5) Secondary extents for everything and make them bigger. If I reduce the
primary then I also increase the secondary. Large datasets are allocated as
CYLS(500 500).

6) Secondary space reduction. So you can use all those little pieces of free
space that DEFRAG cleans up

7) Increase secondary allocation. This is an SRS (and STOP-X37) rule that
increases the secondary request as the file grows. If the dataset is growing
as it is used then ask for more space for each extent, and then trim it with
secondary space reduction if you can't get it. Helps stop datasets from
running out of extents.

8) In SMS use the secondary space value for allocation on subsequent
volumes.

9) Enforce SDB. I used ACC to add DSORG=PS and BLKSIZE=0 in all eligible
allocations.

10) Enable Space release on Management Classes.

11) Use extended format for VSAM so that space release works.

12) Convert CYL to track allocations. I used ACC to do this.

13) Use DFHSM MAXEXTENTS to consolidate PDS. This helps stop ordinary PDS
from blowing the 16 extent limit as they grow. Only single volume non-EF
non-VSAM datasets are selected.

14) Monitor dataset extents. Look for files exceeding 50 extents as some
tweaking of rules or JCL may be required.

Many of these cases work together - you just can't do Primary space
reduction without add volume processing. One thing that became obvious as I
designed this is that fragmentation will persist, and with tools like space
release it would probably get worse. Rather than fight it, I looked at ways
to make sure free space could be used.

The site that drove this plan went from two X37 abends a night to 2 per
month with no additional DASD. The Production system was running at about
15-20% free space and development was at 4% free space. The only problems in
development system were occasional DFHSM recall failures, but this was 3 or
4 per month.

YMMV but this worked for me. And yes there were exceptions and special
cases, but only a few.

Ron

PS we stopped doing DEFRAGS the day I started consolidating the Storage
Groups