IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 05/09/2007
02:24:41 PM:

> I am surprised there are/were no basic statistics kept on such an
obviously
> performance-related tool as BLSR.  But then, I guess if SMB replaces
BLSR
> then no one would bother going back to retrofit measurement tools into
it,
> either, regardless of whether it was hard or easy to do so.
>
> If it had been me, basic stats would have been built-in from day 1 for
> things like actual count of buffers ever used for data and index, total
BLSR
> CPU time used, and maybe even hit counts and total searches.  None of
these
> would have been hard to do and would have provided useful information to
> users.  And a report option for WTO of EOJ stats would have been
> nice-to-have as well.  And none of it would have required GTF.

 BLSR has no opportunity to provide any function like this.  All that BLSR
does is intercept the VSM NSR OPEN of a SUBSYS DD, do a BLDVRP to build an
LSR buffer pool, CLOSE the SUBSYS DD, and then OPEN the real VSAM dataset
using the LSR buffer pool.  By the time the application does its first
I/O operation, BLSR is completely out of the picture, and the application
which was coded to use VSAM NSR is instead using VSAM LSR.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY