On May 9, 2007, at 10:04 AM, Steve Samson wrote:

Bruce,

I would regard SP as the "inside" job, designing, writing, testing, and integrating code to accomplish some well-defined purpose. An SE would be on the interface between "inside" and "outside", meeting with TPTB and the end users to arrive at a set of specs that would then be reviewed and/or revised with the SP to assess cost and schedule, thus defining the purpose of the SP's effort.

In the dawn of history, an SE was the IBM sales team member who would provide on-site training and act as the level 1 contact for solving problems. By 1965 the SE became not much more than the guy you called to order manuals, as all of them with half a brain were pulled into the S/360 development effort.

Just my opinion and recollections...

Steve Samson

Steve,

I guess my recollections are different. Our SE actually wrote code and even looked at dumps occasionally (the PSR did 99 percent of that) I can't remember of any SE in that time frame doing anything else but helping the customer install MVS and testing of it. My memory is rather vague when we ran MVT but IIRC it was essentially the same thing. I vaguely remember a story about we needed to reproduce 200 cobol manuals and the person that followed through on that was the sales rep. Our SE (s) attended staff meetings and also attended (some) management meetings when new computers were talked about or coming installations of new computers.

They also occasionally interfaced with other IBM types when it came to type 3 products and or FDP's. We had good and poor SE's. I am still friends with one of them after 30+ years. We had one that used his knowledge of the 3850 (I think I knew more than he did and I was not even close to being considered an expert on the thing) to get promoted to someplace out in AZ.

Ed