Lizette Koehler wrote:
I believe there a choice here for CLIST.  That is NRSTR rather than STR.  If
you look in the TSO/E CLIST manual you will find a section on Preserving the
Double Ampersand.

&NRSTR prevents more than one level of substitution on a variable;
&STR prevents evaluation of expressions
&SYSSCAN can be used to set the number of levels of symbolic
    substitution, including a value of 0, which suppresses
    substitution completely until you reset it
&SYSNSUB works like &SYSSCAN for a single expression

I seem to recall that there is another function in CLIST that controls the
number of times a variable is interpreted, but I drawing a blank at the
moment as to what that is.

Lizette

----   Snip

WRITENR ===>
READ L
DO &K=1 TO &LENGTH(&L)
   IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=A THEN SET &X=&X OPTA
   ELSE IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=B THEN SET &X=&X OPTB
   ELSE IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=C THEN SET &X=&X OPTC END WRITE &X

..
.---  Unsnip

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques