In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 05/10/2007
   at 03:36 AM, David Eisenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I have inherited responsibility for a CLIST; this is not my forte.
>I'm trying to do  something pertaining to the ampersand character,
>and despite my efforts, I  cannot figure this out. As God is my
>witness, this is not a homework  assignment (I'm a BAL programmer,

I doubt it; in fact, I doubt that you're old enough to have ever seen
BAL. And you're certainly not using it on z/OS.

>The problem: I want each of the tokens in the generated string to be
> preceded by a double-ampersand.

Ouch! Ampersand handling in CLIST was bad enough before they
"improved" it in OS/VS2 Release 3.6! These days it can be tricky to
figure out how many ampersands you need, and tedious to type them.

>E.g., if the user enters "ACB", I want X to
>be set to "&&amp;OPTA &&amp;OPTC &&amp;OPTB".

Isn't that HTML syntax rather than CLIST syntax? Shouldn't that be
"&&amp.OPTA &&amp.OPTC &&amp.OPTB"? Did you really want the letters
"amp" in the output, or did you intend to have a variable with the
name &amp and the value &? If the latter, didn't you want &amp.&amp
rather than &&amp?

>I have read the manuals, I have tried everything I can think of...
>but the  ampersands have laid me low. Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.

Have you read the documentation on "no rescan"? It will still be ugly,
but that should help. Pewrsonally, I'd rather do it in REXX.