<snip>
The issue is more than just "current" date (and "current" time is worse).
It all comes down to submission time, conversion time, execution time, or
system for all variable substitution under Batch JCL.
<unsnip>

OK, give me all these symbols (CTIME, CDATE, ETIME, EDATE, etc) and I'm
likely to find one that works for me 100% of the time given my pretty basic
requirement.

That may not work for more complex situations but I suspect that's the
exception rather than the rule.

Paul P