On Sat, 19 May 2007 08:49:50 -0500, Kenneth E Tomiak wrote:

>Mine does, what do you have that does not?

"internally" is fine, but what about the programming interfaces?

o What is substituted for the dynamic system symbol &HHMMSS?  Is there
  a corresponding form for the GMT value?

  (Wouldn't it be great to be able to:
        //  SET  TZ=PST7PDT
  and then have &HHMMSS reflect that time zone convention?  Guess where I
  got that idea?)

o Does Rexx even yet have a form of the time() and date() functions that
  return GMT?  (Note that date(), believe it or not, is sensitive to the
  time zone, even though there's no "date zone".  I have encountered systems
  that didn't account for this.)  What about COBOL?  PL/I?  HLASM's
  &SYSTIME (whatever) preset symbol?  C is the big winner here (but z/OS's
  C preprocessor still gets it wrong.  IBM rejected my ETR on this.)

o Suppose a customer has systems in several time zones.  (Can this be
  done among LPARs on a single system?)  Can SYSLOG, for convenience
  be set to display timestamps in GMT without setting LOCAL=GMT?

o And one submitter described a problem here within the last couple years:
  His site is in the eastern hemisphere, running a legacy TOD=LOCAL.
  They can tolerate neither the timestamp ambiguity that would result
  from precipitously seting TOD=GMT, nor the several hours' shutdown
  which would be required to avoid the ambiguity.

o Distantly related:  I believe that z/VM and Linux for z/Series are still
  leap second incompetent (a consequence of being Sysplex Timer incompetent?)
  When we were running with leap seconds enabled, all our VM LPARs and their
  z/OS guests were 20+ seconds fast.  I believe we abandoned leap seconds
  for this reason.

>>On Fri, 18 May 2007 08:06:43 -0600, Howard Brazee
>wrote:
>>
>>Our whole computing infrastructure should migrate to GMT, at least
>>internally.

-- gil