Paul,

<snip>
The JCL fragment:

    //STEP     EXEC  PGM=IEFBR14
    //*
    //SYSUT1    DD   DSN=user.FOO.BAR.SMPLOG,DISP=(MOD,KEEP),
    //   VOL=SER=TSO026,
    //            UNIT=SYSALLDA

where 'user.FOO.BAR.SMPLOG' does not pre-exist on the volume produces
allocation messages:

IEF236I ALLOC. FOR MODKEEP STEP
IEF237I 3ECA ALLOCATED TO SYSUT1
IEF142I MODKEEP STEP - STEP WAS EXECUTED - COND CODE 0000
IEF285I   user.FOO.BAR.SMPLOG                          KEPT
IEF285I   VOL SER NOS= TSO026.
IEF373I STEP/STEP    /START 2007142.1554

... but VTOC listing does not show the data set.  As I read the " 12.19.11
Summary of Disposition Processing" in the JCL RM, I believe it should be
kept.
<snip>

according to "12.19 DISP Parameter" in the JCL RM (z/OS 1.8):

If the system obtains unit and volume information for an OLD, MOD, or SHR
status, the data set is treated as if it exists, whether or not it is
physically on the device.

and the "4.6.2.1.8 Disposition Processing of Data Sets that Do Not Exist" in
the JCL UG (z/OS 1.8) says:

When VOLUME and UNIT Are Coded: When you code VOLUME and UNIT on the DD
statement, a JCL error will occur if the problem program attempts to open
the data set. Otherwise, the data set disposition depends on the DISP normal
termination disposition:

When the normal termination disposition is KEEP, the job log will show that
the data set was kept.

Zaromil