The "heavy-hand" is being applied by DFP.  Since the ZFS is a VSAM dataset,
that means there is an entry in the VVDS dataset on that volume.  But DFP
does not have the mechanism to build a VVDS dataset name based on a system
symbolic for the volume name when it goes looking for that information.

Would be nice to be able to use system symbolics for VSAM files as can be
done with non-VSAM files.