Timothy Sipples wrote:
When I configured my 3 MSU personal mainframe (
http://mainframe.typepad.com/blog/2006/11/my_personal_mai.html) the IBM
C/C++ compiler was unbelievably, ridiculously inexpensive.  I was
shocked....

....OK, I just pulled up the U.K. price (which I have handy) for a 3 MSU
zNALC machine (or LPAR).  The IBM C/C++ Compiler, without Debug Tool (i.e.
Alternate Function), will set you back a whopping 5 British pounds per
month.  That's US $10/month, commercial licensing.  The zNALC announcement
letter has the rules describing zNALC eligibility.  I would point out that
commercial licensing means you can call IBM to open PMRs, including Sev1s
in the middle of the night.  Nobody else is doing that for any compiler at
$10/month, to my knowledge. :-)

Somebody want to let the original author know the "secret"? :-)

I do agree with the author that it's a good idea to have a standard
language or two shipping with your operating system.  But which ones?  For
perspective, the world's most installed operating system, Microsoft
Windows, does not ship with a C compiler, and it's extremely unlikely it
ever will.  Does it ship with *any* programming languages?  z/OS ships with
both Java and REXX, and Perl and PHP for z/OS are no charge downloads, so
that's at least 4 (and a good selection, I think).  Are there others?

Assembler comes, of course; it's not "standard" in the sense
there is no OpenSource, ISO, ANSII Assembler standard; but
it's everywhere on zSeries, and it comes included.

Assembler! The only _real_ language!

There's also the Linux factor of course: Novell, Red Hat, CentOS, Debian,
Slack/390, and Gentoo S390 distributions all include gcc.  Could they
cross-compile GCCMVS for z/OS, per the author's wish?

Last but not least, Dignus has their System/C and System/C++ products.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques