On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:51:59 +0200, R.S. wrote:

>That means buy 9037 or STP (it's not free) and connect it to every CPC you
have.
>I don't know STP prices, but 9037 costed approx. 50k$. You need at least
two for redundancy.

You don't NEED two timers unless you have a requirement for fault tolerance
within a sysplex environment. If I remember correctly, you need at least one in
a sysplex environment. What happens if it dies is better left to someone who
knows. We aren't sysplex and can deal with the headaches if our single timer
dies, which basically means you fall back to the old method of relying on the
internal clocks only with no synchronization to the outside world.

After reading Timothy's last comment though, it reads like the new steering
mechanism will go through the HMC. And Radoslaw states that the software to
do it isn't free. It's time to make an appointment with the manuals again.

Has anyone actually done this and can state for certain what is involved ???