On Sat, 26 May 2007 10:49:05 -0400, Gerhard Postpischil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> of it. I then download in ASCII and I can open it with notepad. If I ftp it
>> back
>
>That's great if it works for you, but under most conditions the
>ASCII-EBCDIC translation is lossy, and fails to preserve all
>characters. Unless the text needs to be processed on the PC
>side, downloading in BINary mode is preferred, and lossless.

The OEMVS311 ISO8859-1 <-> IBM-1047 (almost) conversion is bijective.
There remain potential problems with in-band vs. out-of-band line
separators, and ASCII's acceptance of TAB characters which EBCDIC
considers alien.

-- gil