that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> long ago and far away, this was one of the battles getting the
> compare&swap instruction into 370 architecture. test&set had been around
> in the 60s and was used fro 360/65 multiprocessor support with global
> kernel spin-locks (set the lock and everybody else spins, untill the
> lock is cleared).
> somewhat implicit in a lot of compare&swap uses is that there can be
> concurrent threads executing in the same instruction sequences
> simultaneously. the inital forey into POK attempting to get compare&swap
> justified was unsuccesful, in large part because the favorite son
> operating system felt that test&set was just fine for multiprocessor
> support (the 360/65 smp global spin lock paradigm). the challenge was to
> create justification for compare&swap instruction that was applicable to
> single processor deployment. Thus was born the programming notes that
> can be found in principles of operation describing how the "atomic"
> characteristics of comapre&swap can be leveraged in single processor
> environment for multithreaded applications (like DBMS) ... these aren't
> necessarily concurrent multithreads ... but multiple threads that might
> be interrupted and so atomic operations can be applied to both
> simultaneous concurrent multithread operation as well as possibly
> non-simultaneous (but interrruptable) multithreaded operation.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007l.html#24 Is Parallel Programming Just Too Hard?

misc. past posts mentioning smp and/or compare&swap instruction
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#smp

in the mid-70s i was working on a 5-way SMP implementation it involved
one of the lower-end 370 processor designs ... and was moving lots of
features into microcode. for one reason or another that project got
killed, misc. past posts discussing the effort
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#bounce

shortly after that got killed, there was another project started for
16-way smp involving higher-end processors. we even co-opted the spare
time from some of the processor engineers furiously attempting to
complete the 3033. in general, most people that looked at it thought it
was a really great idea ... until it came to the attention of the head
of POK that it would possible be decades before the POK favorite son
operating system would be able to support the machine. At which time,
the 3033 engineers were instructed to get their noses back to the
grindstone and some people were invited to never show up in POK again.

misc. past references:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#5 Who started RISC? (was: 64 bit Linux?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#6 801
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#11 801 & power/pc