On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:09:18 -0600, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you
wrote:

>Researchers at Intel are working on ways to mask the intricate
>functionality of massive multicore chips to make it easier for computer
>makers and software developers to adapt to them, said Jerry Bautista,
>co-director of Intel's Tera-scale Computing Research Program.

I wonder what differences in implementation are between a database
machine with sysops and DBAs, and a desktop machine.

Desktop machines have had floating-pint chips, and then later
super-powerful graphics cards, unloading high CPU tasks from the main
processor.    Mainframes have been far better at moving data in and
out, but that isn't yet as big of an issue with desktop computers.

Desktops won't have sysops adjusting efficiency depending on needs.
When someone is downloading a movie, playing a CPU intensive game, and
checking his e-mail, the OS needs to know what priorities these tasks
have.